Distance learning study from outside New Zealand

New Zealand citizens residing outside New Zealand who enrol in a programme leading to an award of a qualification are entitled to pay domestic fees unless: 

  • They enrol at Massey University overseas campus; or 
  • Receive tuition primarily at an overseas site; or 
  • Are enrolled with an overseas provider.

Holders of a New Zealand residence class visa and Australian citizens living outside New Zealand who are enrolled for tuition must pay fees at the rate for international students. A residency visa enables a person to be classified as a domestic student only while they are living in New Zealand. Obtaining a Returning Resident's Visa prior to leaving New Zealand entitles a person only to re-enter New Zealand and to be granted a Residence Permit on arrival; it does not influence their status while outside New Zealand. Therefore, for entitlement and fees payment purposes, their status remains as an international student.

International students living outside New Zealand may study by distance, please see international students studying by distance education from overseas.

See the Fees web pages for a schedule of fees.

Note: Enrolment by distance (extramural) education will not normally be approved for citizens of the People's Republic of China in order to ensure degree recognition. Any exception requires approval by the Pro Vice-Chancellor (or nominee) of the College responsible for the student's programme of study. All students studying overseas will be charged additional fees for airmail postage and exam arrangements. Please note that if you plan to enrol and complete courses from the Middle East, you may face delays in the post that make Distance Learning study more difficult than from other overseas locations. Therefore, it may be necessary to use courier services to ensure delivery. You need to be aware that this will incur additional expense.

The Library provides a specific service for students studying overseas, but you should be aware that you may not have access to full Distance Library Service; in particular usage of the book collection will be limited. More details are available on the Library web pages.

Competence in the English language

If the language in which you have received tuition for the highest level of previous study is not English then you may be required to demonstrate proficiency in English before being admitted to Massey University.

Massey Contact Centre Mon - Fri 8:30am to 5:00pm 0800 MASSEY (+64 6 350 5701) TXT 5222 contact@massey.ac.nz Web chat MyMassey Staff Alumni News Māori @ Massey